On And On

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Back again

This post was ever so gently prompted by M. Heh.

I was going to post on the 4th, but the day got away from me. Independence Day festivities?
Partly to blame, but mostly I was spent after helping my sister-in-law move into her first apartment. Which, of course, is nicer than ours. Alas.

That said, C and I just noticed a house for sale in Buxton that we love. Probably can't do it just yet, but it turns out that the first time home buyer's program under Maine State Housing is very helpful and not just for the poor anymore. Due to home prices in York and Cumberland County, you actually can make a decent income and still qualify. We will be following up on that shortly, and I'll keep you posted.

Finished reading "Cloud Atlas" and those of you that haven't, should. Time well spent. Just started "The Name of the Rose" by Eco. I have wanted to read it since eighth grade, but haven't felt up to the challenge until now. I'm about sixty pages in and finding it a pleasure to read. Beautiful writing, but the word "opaque" comes to mind. I'm told that was intentional on Eco's part, and the reading get's easier after about 100 pages. Apparently he wanted to weed out the casual reader. I guess that's one way to do it.

Went home to Dover-Foxcroft on Sunday, and was reminded for the 157th time why I left that town gleefully back in 1992. I honestly don't know where people work, or how the town has survived this long. A classmate of mine who got her Ph.D. in Archaeology is now director of economic planning for the town. I wish her all the best, but I can't imagine what she's going to do. Incidentally, she also went to UMF. Fascinating what UMF grad's are up to these days. See this blog; and this one, and of course, this one.

I'm going to pretend to work now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home